Friday, January 13, 2012

A Mindful You

   I am big into multi-tasking....so much so that I sometimes feel "weird" when only doing one thing at a time.  TV watching is done with either laptop, magazine, work stuff or crossword in hand.  Drive time is when I make lists in my head - to-do, grocery, errands to run, etc - or sometimes catch up on phone calls (I know, I don't do it as much as I used to).  Being a business owner, my mind is always whirling with ways to develop, market or promote - no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

   So, I am working on practicing mindfulness in 2012.  Being completely in touch with the present moment is the way to help reduce stress, improve memory, boost immune system and even lose weight.  Here are some things that I am trying to do:

    > When walking my dog, no phone or music.  Enjoy being outdoors and how good it feels.  Enjoy spending time with my pup.

    > Eat slower.  Chew food longer.  Pay attention to the taste and texture of food.  Do not eat standing up.

    > When exercising (and not teaching), focusing on each movement and how my muscles are responding.

    > Being a more alert motorist!  Avoiding distractions and enjoying some alone time to listen to music or talk radio.  Staying calm and un-rushed without being so annoyed by others not as "zen". 

    > Listening more and talking less!

  We just began a 4 week session of the homeopathic hCG/detox diet where you are 100% mindful of every bite that goes into your mouth.  Keeping a food journal and recording calories and grams of fat, protein and carbs makes you very aware of nutritional content and portion control.  Being mindful for weight loss is absolutely necessary for long term success.

   OK 2012 - my year of mindfulness.  Anyone care to join me?  :)

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment