As 2010 is coming to a close, even though many of us are still in holiday mode with vacations, trips, house guests and food galore, it is time to look ahead to the new year and think about what we will do with 2011.
Instead of the generic “Lose Weight” or “Get Healthy” resolutions, here are 5 more specific suggestions on how to make the biggest impact on improving your health and body in 2011. These things are not hard to do but very challenging to maintain without some mental focus, commitment, time and energy.
But the payback can be life-changing!
1) Schedule Your Workouts – Find times that you can reasonably commit to exercise consistently each
week and treat those times as appointments that are too important to miss. But also have backup plans
when necessary. To protect your health, cardio is needed 3x per week and strength training 2x.
For weight loss, exercise 6 days a week.
2) Take Supplements – This is by far, the best thing you can do for your health that requires the least
amount of energy and effort. Get a pill organizer to save time and make it easier to remember. Taking
vitamins will not only protect your body from disease and illness but give you more energy, youthfulness
and aids weight loss. Here are the basics:
High quality Multi-Vitamin
Omega 3 (fish oil)
Calcium (for menopausal women)
Pro-biotic (acidophilus is the supplement that promotes healthy bacteria in the digestive tract)
Resveratrol (super antioxidant)
Extra Vitamin C (to boost immune system, esp with high stress)
3) Prepare Your Own Food – Cutting back on restaurant and processed foods will cut back on calories, fat, sodium and unhealthy artificial additives. Get up a little earlier to eat a good breakfast before leaving the house and bring your lunch to work. Take time each week to grocery shop and plan meals and snacks.
4) Get enough sleep – If you don’t sleep at least 7 hours a night, your body will suffer. Besides chronic fatigue, your immune system, metabolism, weight control and susceptibility to disease is compromised.
5) See a Professional – If you have been dealing with physical or mental issue that have affected your
quality of life and kept you from being the best you can be – then get help! If not sleeping or suffering
from hot flashes - get your hormones checked! If having chronic joint pain – see a chiropractor! If
emotional/relationship stress is overwhelming – see a counselor! If you need to lose weight or manage
diabetes and need help – see a nutritionist (or ME)!
Starting a new year means a fresh start and new beginnings. Make 2011 the year that you improve your life in some way! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!